I am huge fan of mixology and a properly prepared and balanced cocktail. I love creating my own cocktails but theres only so much you can do without proper training. I have taken the liberty of listing the proper steps that you need in order to become an amazing bartender. Take a look at these steps but check with your state laws as they may vary in regards to requirements. Enjoy!
Meet the requirements: You must be at least 18 years old to work as a bartender, though some states require that you be 19 or 21. Some states also require that bartenders take alcohol awareness classes prior to beginning work. Again, check with your city/state to clarify the specific requirements.
Complete These: Some bars hire new bartenders who have completed bartending school, while others prefer to promote their own barbacks/cocktail waitresses to bartending positions. It really varys so its up to you!
- Complete bartending school- Most classes will teach you how to prepare hundreds of different kinds of cocktails, deal with intoxicated patrons, prepare garnishes, pour liquor, and differentiate between different types of beer and wine
- Find a job as a barback or cocktail waitress- Barbacks are the assistants to the bartender. Duties for this job include collecting empty glasses, preparing garnish trays, getting ice, wiping down the bar, and restocking supplies
- Cocktail waitresses are responsible for delivering alcoholic beverages to patrons in bars, music venues, and other drinking establishments
Get practice: Bartenders need a lot of practice to perfect the basics and even more to learn the tricky things. Most bars offer training to new employees and will start new bartenders off working alongside a seasoned bartender in order to gain supervised experience.
Find work as a bartender: Apply to tons of venues including casinos, bars, nightclubs, hotels, restaurants, etc. You never know where they will lead or who you might meet over a cocktail.
- If you already have a job as a barback or cocktail waitress, then set up a meeting with your supervisor to discuss the prospect of being promoted to a bartending position
Know the qualities required of a bartender. Below are list of skills that you must have if you intend on being a great and successful bartender at a top venue.
- Strong People Skills
- Good Memory
- Sales Skills
- Ability To Multi-task
- Ability To Work Under Pressure
- Deal With Drunk Patrons Appropriately
Update Your Craft: Every bartender must learn the basic but it take a special breed of bartender to learn the difficult stuff and an even small crop of them to develop their own signature beverages. Bartenders should know what drinks are trendy and even the regular cocktail of a frequent patron.